Skip navigation

Serving the South Puget Sound and Western Washington Areas Since 1976

Serving the South Puget Sound and Southwest Washington Areas Since 1976

24 Hour Emergency Service


Sunset Air Blog

What are the signs of a mold or mildew problem?

©Martin Scott-Jupp

What are the signs of a mold or mildew problem?

The easy to find initial signs of mold or mildew are visible to the eye. You will notice thread-like growths or clusters of specks on fungus-prone surfaces. In cases when mold is not visible, you may detect a “musty” odor. While sight, feel, and smell are always good indicators of a mold or mildew problem, you cannot always rely upon your senses.

Mold can often grow behind walls and ceilings or below floors and carpets. They are also common around pluming where there may be a water leak or in closets and rooms that are rarely used. A good rule of thumb is that mold can build up wherever moisture builds up. It is also a common misconception that mold only grows in older homes but mold can be found in new homes depending on what time of the year or environment a new home was built in. For instance, houses built in the winter or spring can have excess moisture trapped in the walls creating an environment for mold to grow.

A less obvious sign of mold and mildew infestation may be your health. If you have allergies or asthma, you may be sensitive to molds and experience symptoms such as skin rash, running nose, eye irritation, cough and congestion. In other people, exposure to mold and mildew can produce fatigue, nausea, headaches, muscle pain and respiratory and eye irritation. If you or your family has had ongoing health problems that you suspect are caused by exposure to mold and mildew, you should consult with your physician. Feel free to call us for more information on home ventilation and preventing the growth of mold or mildew. 360-456-4956

Comments are closed.