Homeowners today are putting more and more demand on their electrical systems. Electrical panels can only handle so much voltage, and if your panel is older than 20 years or so, there’s no denying that you have a lot more hooked up to it now than you did back then—high-efficiency appliances, computers, even entertainment systems.
All this increased demand means that your electrical system can start to suffer. But how do you know when you need electrical repair? Read on as we uncover several signs.
Circuit Breakers Are Constantly Tripping
The circuit breaker panel—what we referred to as the electrical panel above—is in place to keep your home safe. It cuts off the flow of electricity if too much voltage is being sent through the wiring. So if the circuit breakers in your panel are constantly tripping, or they don’t resent, then you may have a big problem on your hands.
What could be happening is that you have too many appliances and other electrical components placing demand on a particular circuit. On your own, you can try unplugging and redistributing some of the appliances and electrical systems in your home to see if this helps.
If that doesn’t work, however, it’s time to give us a call and see if something more serious is needed, like a professional electrical panel upgrade.
Hollywood sure likes us to think that lights flicker when a house is haunted or when something magical is about to happen. But the real truth of it is, flickering lights can be the sign of a problem with your electrical system. If it’s just one light or fixture, it may just mean you need to change a bulb. But you should pay attention if it’s multiple lights.
This can indicate that there is a short circuit somewhere in your electrical system, and it’s important that you have this checked out ASAP. Short circuits can occur behind walls and can cause further wiring damage or even electrical fires.
When a short circuit diverts electrical energy into the area around a wire, it vents off some of that energy as heat. So if you discover that a spot or two on your wall is warmer than it should be, it may mean you have a short-circuit.
This is particularly common around light switches. There is an exception here though—dimmer switches often do feel slightly warm to the touch, and this is normal. But if it seems hotter than it used to be or if it’s a standard switch, it’s time to give us a call.
It might seem pretty obvious, but if something smells like it’s burning, then something probably is burning. Provided you aren’t cooking anything, it may very well be wires you detect that are burning or smoldering. Please don’t hesitate to give us a call if you detect this sign!
Reach out to Sunset Air today to get in touch with an expert electrician in Olympia, WA.